Tuesday, September 13, 2011

No Go

Got my Private Pilot Test Prep book. Tried studying at night when I usually read a little before bed, but kept falling asleep and would have to read the same thing multiple times. It's okay when it's a fiction book, but not when it's serious studying.

So I've been studying a little bit after dinner and on my lunch break at work. The book isn't monstrous or anything, but I was quickly overwhelmed in the first few pages. I wonder how I'm going to cram all of this into my head... I made a joke on facebook about maybe this is why pilots all have nicknames/call signs - they've been studying so hard and forgot their own names in the process. :P

Managed to schedule a last minute flight in last night. It's quite a feat to fly out of work, get my stuff together, take care of the animals, shove a sandwich in my mouth and speed over to the airport. The weather was fine - saw one cumulonimbus overhead as I drove there, but didn't think it would be a problem.

Arrived at the school, flight bag in hand and "Love at First Flight" t-shirt on. Saw the guy in charge of the center and waved hello. Saw my very first instructor, "Baloo", and was totally excited to see him! He asked how everything was going and I started babbling nonstop about everything. Told him about how the seat cushion was helping me to see and about my perfect landing. He congratulated me. The owner said, "Get out!" from the other room. I poked my head in and grinned, he dropped the joking tone and pointed to the door, "I mean it, get out". Joking, I'm sure... but I don't like him very much. I admitted to Baloo that I tried to get another perfect landing during my touch & gos and didn't make it after that first time. He had really good advice- "That's the problem - you tried. Did you try for a perfect landing the first time? Just let it happen". And the guy in charge piped up from the other room -"Feel the Force, Luke!". I shouted back, "Thanks, Obi-Wan!". (Ha-maybe I should call him "Obi-Wan")

 Although couldn't talk long - the daylight was fading and we needed to take off. I got my stuff, waved g'bye and headed out to do the pre-flight before Bambi came out there. Felt kinda good to strut out of there to do the pre-flight in front of my very first instructor. Kind of a "look at me now" moment. Very cool.

I greeted my Delta Charlie with enthusiasm. Talked with her all through the pre-flight, running my hands over her wings. Bambi took awhile to come out of there, so I had plenty of time. She warned me that Del had been having oil pressure problems yesterday but didn't seem to today. We hop in the plane. I handle the radios (omg- I handled the radios!!!) and started to taxi. Bambi was taken aback by the taxiing - we were on the line 99% of the time. Got down to the little area where we did the run up before take off. You have to do a little maneuver to get the plane turned around. Kind of turning on a point. You up the power and stomp hard on the brake where you want the plane to go. Although turning isn't hard - it's just stopping because otherwise that plane will keep going. She turned like a Russian Ballerina. Bambi was astounded and even exclaimed, "VERY GOOD! WOW!".

It was short lived, however. The oil pressure dropped (dropped, as in plummeted) and the oil temperature rose. A serious red flag. It could be that the gauges were just messing up, but it could also be that the engine would seize up in the air if we attempted to take off. I was disappointed, but we turned around and came back. Better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air than in the air, wishing you were on the ground. Poor little Del, hope she's okay.

But that puts my next flight on Sunday. It's okay - I'm disappointed, but by Sunday, I'll be able to memorize slow flight, power-on & power-off stalls and the emergency take off procedures. Got slow flight down already. Stalls are very similar in how they start out, so shouldn't be too bad. And hopefully, my Del will be ready to go on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment