Tuesday, August 30, 2011

3.7 Hours

Now I have 4 entries in my logbook. Still looks odd to me, as I never thought I'd have that many flight hours. It's just still so strange to me. What, me? A pilot? Surely, you must be joking...

(No, I'm not. And don't call me 'Shirley'. haha)

My last flight went better. Still not up to par with my second flight, but as long as I continue to get better with every flight, then it won't be too long 'till I'm there again. Am really, really frustrated with all of the weather delays (gotta love Atlanta's stormy afternoons and pop-up showers that appear out of nowhere) and scheduling conflicts.

I did the pre-flight check all by myself, which I was really proud of being able to do. Told my previous instructor about my accomplishment, but tried to refrain from getting all excited about it. Regardless, I felt like a little kid telling an adult that she tied her shoes for the first time by herself.

Taxiing got a little better, but still not as good at the second flight. Some guys parked their plane on the ramp in the way. My instructor had to get us around it; I suggested telling them that they might want to move their plane as a student driver (flyer?) was on board.

She's kind of nervous, which makes me nervous. Had a couple of freak-out moments, as did she. Not sure you want your CFI freaking out on you. I'm already a little nervous to begin with.

She took off the plane (again) and landed (again). I'm getting frustrated that she's not letting me do what I know I can do. I did both of those (assisted) on my second flight lesson ever. I'm never going to learn if she doesn't turn over the reigns.

Anyways, so we get into the air and I've got a seat cushion now! Helped me see over the instruments a bit better. Easier to keep straight and level if you can see where you are going. ;)

I got to do my very first ever Power On Stall. It was pretty cool. It's supposed to simulate take-off, so you pull the stick wayyyyy back and it feels like you are one of the Blue Angels going vertical. Not really going vertical like that, but it feels like it.

It was kind of cloudy up there, but beautiful. I was just taken aback by the beauty of it all. Soared up to 5,000 feet, just above the clouds. Not thick cloud cover, but just kind of spotted here and there. Enough that I was able to ascend through breaks in them and able to see the ground in the negative spaces. I am not lying when I say it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Could only keep repeating that over and over in the plane. Absolutely breathtaking. Took a good number of pictures up there.

We came back down and of course, she landed. Felt a little better this time. Wasn't as good as my best flight ever, but wasn't as bad as the worst. I think as long as I keep getting better and better, then I'll be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment