Monday, January 21, 2013

CAP Meeting/EAA Dinner

Last week's CAP meeting was an annual safety one. They also had a guy come in from the air force to speak with us.

I'll be working with the guy who gave the safety presentation. I have to make 5 safety presentations myself (not hour and 1/2 ones like he gave though, thank goodness). So knowing this, I've been thinking one what I'll present - first, I think I'll see if they have a tornado/fire drill in place and ask how long ago they have gone through it.

During the meeting, I notice two people I've never seen before - one in uniform, one without... and both are (attractive) guys about my age. I smile, remembering what they told me about being welcoming to new people. No problem, I've got this - I'll be your welcome wagon. ;)

Just after the meeting ends, the head safety guy comes to greet me and is all excited about me joining the safety team. "Come with me", he says. "There's something I want to introduce you to".

So he introduces me to one of them and says I'll be working with him, also telling me he just became an airline pilot. Awesome! We'll all go out for drinks afterwards, like we usually do, and I'm having this awesome conversation with this guy. I've said before that the BEST pickup line ever is "I'm a pilot", but I can't use it on this guy because he's a pilot too.

So better yet, I end up saying, "So I hear you just became a pilot".

He looks at me and blinks.

Aw, crap. "I mean, not a pilot pilot; an airline pilot". Fortunately, he laughs... which is good. Unfortunately, after more talking, I found out he was married. And days later, it freaked me out to learn that he was 7 YEARS younger than me!!!!!!!! While I was talking to him, I thought he was 32 or 33. lol As one friend pointed out, I'm not sure what is worse - me looking like I'm 10 years younger than I am or him looking 10 years older than he is. haha

In other CAP news, I learned just yesterday that one of my buddies from the last CAP (RJ), one that was like a brother to me, transferred to this CAP the day after I did!!! : I'm soooooooo excited, I can't wait to see him again!!!

Tomorrow night's meeting is Mountain Flying ground school. At little advanced for me, especially considering where I am, but they said anyone could come and it was for pilots and future CAP pilots... which technically DOES include me...I just so happen to be a future pilot as well.

---

There was an EAA dinner meeting last week, too. I was nervous going because I still don't know a lot of these guys and they are even older than the CAP guys, but I went determined to have a good time anyways. All of them brought their wives and that made it a bit easier to talk to everyone. The women were perplexed as to why I liked or could even like airplanes.

Then we played a game where a certain type of airplane was placed on everyone's backs and you had to ask questions of other people to guess what it is. That game was a lot of fun and really helped as an ice breaker! The poor woman next to me didn't know what she had on her back until I said it was an animal in the Lion King (A-10 Warthog). I got a Zenith 750 (homebuilt aircraft) which I couldn't guess and no one knew how to tell me what it was.

It was a good dinner overall. I did wonder part-way through why one of my ears kept feeling like I was hearing underwaterish and I felt hot. Realized later that either my food had been cooked with lobster/crab or I'm becoming allergic to shrimp too. Had a pretty bad night afterwards.

Bad shrimp aside, I always enjoy hanging out with fellow pilots/aviation people. Had a thought the other day that I may have never gone to see where I was born if it wasn't for aviation. :)
It's odd how everything ties together like that, you know?

In actual flying news, unfortunately nothing to report. I need to get back into the habit of studying and continue to look for a flight instructor. I talked a little with the guys at the EAA meeting and one of them said I was scared of moving forward, which is true. I don't want to get hurt like that again. But the easy solution for that is to seek someone out myself, instead of letting them seek me out. I know what I have to do, but it doesn't make it any easier though.

No comments:

Post a Comment