Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Back on the Grid


Per Wikipedia: The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid, mainly used in terms of not being connected to the main or national transmission grid in electricity.

Recent milestones: This is officially my 100th post in this blog and I've hit 87 fans... whoops! 88!! on my Facebook at the time of writing this entry! Also, have a new email for offical aviation business set up. =)  They are little steps and may not be very big, but they mean a lot to me and are signs that I'm heading in the right direction. They are my checkpoints on my long cross country that confirm I am heading in the right direction.

CAP started up again yesterday since the Christmas holiday. It was good to see everyone and they greeted me as enthusiastically as before. The purpose of this meeting was to get people assigned to roles, if they weren't already. I finally settled on Safety, Communications and Aerospace Education. I don't mind helping out and progressing in the organization, but my ultimate goal is to be a pilot, so I tried to pick things that will help me out there as well.

I was talking to the Comm officer and one of the guys said to her, "Finally got another girl, huh?". She was all excited and hugged me, "That's right!!!". haha She's taken quite a liking to me. Have I mentioned she reminds me of one of my Aunts?

Afterwards, we headed out for drinks again. Would it be wrong of me to say that this is my favorite part of the meetings ? :)   One of the guys writes the newsletter for the squadron and emailed me some questions for the "newest member" interview. So I said to him, "Hey, I like to write and in fact, have an aviation blog. Need any help with the newsletter?". So I'm also helping out with the newsletter too. He liked some of my ideas and them we discussed field trips for the group, saying we could post upcoming trips in the newsletter and post pictures in it afterwards. One that came up was the museum in Warner Robins. Aaaaaaaaaand the suggestion was that if we got enough people, to take a C-130 down there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was getting more comfy with the group (and drinking sweet iced tea), so I was a little hyper. Not to mention, getting all excited about everything. So there were a few "omg, she talks!!" moments. haha And, and, and - One of the guys was talking about needing to get some students when I was talking about flight training and he looked over when I said it. Nothing was said beyond that, but maybe might have found a flight instructor... He seems pretty nice. I still may end up going with the flight school over there that I had been eyeing, not sure. I really, really like the idea of no school restrictions and actually going places with the instructor. But we shall see.

I still need to get back into studying mode after the holidays. Still haven't conquered Chapter 9 yet, but still need to play with the flight computer a bit more.

Currently reading Tales of a War Pilot by Lt. Richard Kirkland about his adventures as a pilot in WWII. I love books like these, not only because it's about aviation, but reading about WWII also reminds me of my Grandfather. He wasn't a pilot, although I still get a little bit of a sense of what he went through in the military during that time.

And in other news, thinking about joining Women in Aviation this year. I've been wanting to for awhile, but was just trying to accumulate funds. The comm officer is a member there too. And oh wow, just got an invite to a dinner party for the EAA group for next Thursday. Yes, this year will be busy indeed...

Upwards and Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment