Saturday, February 2, 2013

CAP and Another SAREX

Finally back in the air again today - the first time this year and since the last SAREX.

Never really know how much you miss it until you get into the air again. It's cliche, but it really does feel like coming home. It's almost like I'm sleepwalking on the ground and don't wake up until I'm in the air again. Riding on the back of the wind is just such a spiritual experience. I'm in this man-made machine, yet somehow I feel closer to the elements of the Earth.

Only one possible sign-off today. They didn't need the other tasks that I needed, so no chance to get them crossed off. I'm disappointed, sure... but at least I know it's because of that and not because I didn't know how to do them. I still learned a lot and still had fun, so that's all that should matter. Got a lot of fanfare today, too, so you know I'm happy about that... ;)

Our pilot send out emails earlier in the week, detailing everything he expected of me and it made me very nervous about today's flights. I'd tried psyching myself up with epic-sounding music and a couple of friends gave me some much needed words of encouragement.

The pilot got sick and was changed out last minute. I knew the new pilot more than the previous one. I'm actually assigned to work with him at the squadron. He didn't seem to remember me though. From the start, he started showing me stuff and asked what I knew/ didn't know. Our communication was good and after we set boundaries a little (as you don't want to step on the pilot's toes in the cockpit), we worked pretty well together. Once we got to the training mission base, our task was to just hang out until it was time to go home. So we got to talk a lot too. He works with brains and stuff during his day job - when he told me this, I gasped like a little kid and excitedly said: "Wow, that's soooooooo cool!!! Do you get to dissect them and everything?!?!". He didn't, but looked appreciative (or at the very least, amused) of my enthusiasm. We became basically inseparable all day. He showed me how to fill out forms, taught me a few things and put up with all of my questions

There were other members of our squadron there too. Saw the Commander, who said he was happy I was there. Then later, after our mission, someone came up to me and said they heard me on the radio. He said I sounded really good, but just needed to increase my volume a little. That sort of thing can be hard to hear in the plane - you may sound alright to the people in your own plane, however, sound different to people on the ground/in other planes. I thanked him and said I'd keep volume in mind. Then the Commander over heard him telling me I was a good Mission Observer and said "Of course she's good, she's from our squadron, isn't she? All of our people are".

I was so happy after the flight! I walked around their building and greeted everyone with an enthusiastic "Good Morning!" and every familiar person I encountered from my squadron or from a previous SAREX, I greeted like I hadn't seen them in ages. I was the only female (except for the woman who cooked us hamburgers & hot dogs for lunch), so I guess I kinda stood out (what else is new?).

Buzz (the new pilot friend that I flew with) and I were talking and this guy comes up to me that I've never seen before. He shakes my hand and says, "I wanted just to say hello to you. Are you the famous one they talk about?".

Blink.

Excuse me, what? Famous??? I get this a lot at SAREXs...and even sometimes at airshows. I told him I hoped I was famous for something good. He didn't answer. I told my Mom how much this reaction puzzles me. Don't get me wrong - I love it, but I don't understand it sometimes. I told her I thought it was because I stand out because I'm young and female. I don't know. Honestly, after he said that, my brain raced through all the mistakes I made, wondering if he might be referring to one of those. Sometimes I wonder if they may be humoring me. I really don't know why they act that way towards me.

Speaking of mistakes, I made a few on the radio. I need to work on my terminology. Called something I shouldn't have - blah. In spite of the mistakes, everyone kept telling me how good I was. It creates kind of a cognitive dissonance for me because I don't equate good with making lots of mistakes.

But overall it was a good day. There's another SAREX in a few weeks; maybe I'll try again then.

I got home absolutely exhausted because I started the day at 0530. Curled up for a nap and dreamed about airplanes. I thought about my day and how everyone behaved towards me. I started to worry a little, as we all know what happened with the last person who took interest in me. I just don't want something like that happening again. I thought it through and the last time, I had alarm bells going off in my head that I ignored. There are no alarm bells now. My intuition serves me well and will let me know if something seems amiss... I just need to let it do its job and I need to do mine: fly.

Last CAP meeting went well also. We had a guy come in from the FAA and talk about safety. I introduced myself to the hottie I saw the other week - he's Russian. Another one of my buddies was talking about how he got a new state-of-the-art sim system on his computer (pedals, joystick, etc) and was throwing out his old one. He looks over at me and said he should really give it to someone who would appreciate it, then asked me if I wanted it! Omg... did I want it?!?! I've slowly been turning my living room into an airplane hanger and have dreams about getting a house, just so I can build a life-sized F-18 sim in my garage (and build an RV in the basement...) - did I want it?!?! He's bringing it for me next week. Haha- they'll need to set up a noise complaint line for all the ruckus I'll be making, pretending my computer is an airplane.

Afterwards, we all went for drinks like always. The woman who reminds me of my Aunt stayed by my side... and the FAA dude plopped himself in front of me. I knew of him beforehand and he attends meetings regularly. I know he knows of me too, but he made no indication that he recognized me. We all started talking politics and it was good to find like-minded people... but then he took an odd turn and started speaking badly about certain races. sexual orientations, etc. It just reminded me that there's no one on this planet that we agree 100% of the time with.

I can't wait for next Tuesday! I really love this squadron and most of the people I've met. I can't believe one little thing like aviation can create such strong bonds so quickly. This squadron really does overall embody the Spirit of Oshkosh.

... I need to fly more...



No comments:

Post a Comment