Thursday, June 7, 2012

Safety briefings

Just got back from tonight's CAP meeting. I don't want to get into trouble or ruffle any feathers or anything, especially since I'm still new, but the last two "safety briefings" have been... sub-standard. I know these are required every 30 days and I know it can be a hassle to put together, but c'mon guys... we have these for a reason. Let's put some effort into it and really focus on keeping people safe. Our topic tonight was hydration. When that ran out, it was about other hot weather hazards, which included topics like wearing sunscreen and watching out for bugs. Really? I came up here in traffic for this?? I could have been studying...

The only good thing about it was when someone brought up at the end of how it was tornado season and we're in trailers... without a real emergency plan. There ya go! Why not have an evening about that? I think everyone's been through the FEMA training I have -why not set up a system like the one we learned about and maybe run a few drills. There's a building next door, but no one knows if we have a key to it. Assign leaders (apart from the head leader) and assign them people to be responsible for in case of an emergency. Get a key to that building and maybe keep a copy in each trailer. What if there's no time? Run into the ditch behind the trailers. I dunno... have safety meetings like that. We are an emergency services organization after all. Shouldn't we have our act together in case of an emergency?

And one of the members asked who was CPR certified. Only 3 hands went up. Maybe we should work on that during one safety meeting? Another member complained that all safety meetings were pilot-oriented and wanted one more geared towards the ground crew. There ya go - 2 ideas that would include everybody and would be productive.

Some of this is maybe sounding more harsh than I mean it. I just feel like some of the other members view it as a joke and kind of brush it off.

Also, no Merlin, so no go on "Heather ask questions" night either. Boo. haha But speaking about wasting time away from studying, I do need to get some of that in tonight. It has been suggested that I not only tell what medium I plan to study but what I am studying/going to study. Let's see... if I watch videos, it would be about airspace. If I choose to study in the textbook, it would be about stability, stalls, spins and the like. I think I am going with the latter - I can't wait for spin training!!!

In Oshkosh news, I should have accommodations secured by the end of the weekend. All that will be left after that is transportation and I'm done! Hope Wisconsin's ready for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment