Saturday, June 30, 2012

SAREX

Just came back from my first CAP SAREX (Search and Rescue Exercise)! This one was a fairly big deal because of the 100+ degree temperatures. We all know how (not) well I fair in excursions which involve flying all day, especially in hot temps. Not to mention, I didn't eat a real meal except for dinner all day. Result?

Total of 5 flights (including trips there and back and to pick up/drop off a person): Stayed adequetely hydrated, no migraines: managed to eat snacks throughout the day to keep my stomach satisfied and no sunburn. FTW!

I'll admit I've been concerned because I have yet to fair well during each exhausting activity involving CAP or all day air shows thus far. I worried about how I was going to survive 7 days at Oshkosh. Now I'm not going to get all cocky and think I'm immune now, but I think I definitely have a better handle on things.

As for the SAREX, I'm not sure how much I can disclose, but since we were running everything like it was an actual emergency, I'm going to practice by not saying very much about the mission part of it.

The bad: I sat around most of the morning and was bored out of my mind. It could have been more organized. To relieve my boredom, I bounce around and pestered people to help them. Finally, I got assigned on a flight, but it was only one. Aaaaaaand, they kept calling me "Cadet" during the flight. lol grrr.

The good: The crew I went with was with two new guys from another CAP group. We had a pretty good flight and they said I was "awesome"! Squee!!! I always like flying with new people. Apparently, I totally rawked as Mission Scanner because I called out all the times to them (we need to record times when we do things, like "engine start" and "wheels up"). A good mission flight crew will then transmit those to the communications team on the ground, which we didn't do completely. I call out the times to the Mission Observer, who is suppose to call the ground communications team and tell them. Also, I used the radios a bit and got to communicate with the mission base for the first time! Not to mention in that super-confident-in-charge type voice. I love that voice, wish I could summon it outside of a plane. As much as I like squeaking, I love that airplane radio voice. It still shocks me a little. I love the reaction I get from other people like, "Where the hell did that come from?". It's pretty cool actually.

Anyways, also - I may have gotten my pilot callsign!!! I'm keeping it secret for now to see just how well it fits... also, your CFI is suppose to give it to you... and I didn't get it from Merlin. I think it's PERFECT though! It's perfectly balanced between cutsey-feminine and a little bit badass at the same time. It ties in where I was born and also ties in an aspect of my personality when it comes to flying. lol One of my friends said my callsign should be "Squee".

Had dinner with Merlin tonight and he gave me a rare compliment. You have to understand, he doesn't give compliments AT ALL and usually, he is very very hard on me. Even if I do a good job, he's harping on me about the things I could have done better. Anyways, he told me he said I work harder than anyone else and that's why he gives me so much attention. I put in the effort, I write things down, I study, I ask questions and no one else does that. I do it because I love it. I crave flying more than anything else and going long stretches without it almost absolutely kills me. Would I much rather be in the air, soaring between the clouds than sitting at home with my head stuck in a book? You betcha, in a heartbeat. However, even though my heart and soul don't quite understand why I must remain grounded at this point in time, my head understands that I must learn all of this first and it will make me into a better pilot. And that's how I can push myself to continue watching the cheesy videos and press on through the textbooks.  His comment really shocked me because as I said, he's *always* harping on me about things I could have done better. Nothing I do or have done has ever seemed good enough. I think I mentioned about the time he said I needed to studying more and I burst into tears when I got home because I didn't know how I could possibly study anymore than I already was. Know what he said tonight? He said he was so hard on me because...ugh and I forget the exact phrasing he used because my brain is mush and I'm tired, but... because I'm bound for something great or because I'm much more capable than I think, something along those lines.

Anyways, so long day SAREXing. Been up since 0600 and am sweaty and nasty. I know I still need to update about the USS Yorktown and I will tomorrow, when I'm keeping my butt inside during 100+ degree temps again.

I need to lock down this confidence and assertiveness... and keep it there. As much as I like shocking people with it, I much prefer to be this way over the shy, baby-pilot Heather.

Edit: I think I forgot to mention quite possibly THE most important news of the day: I am officially a CAP Mission Scanner! But my work is only beginning - Upwards and onwards to Mission Observer next! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment