Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A little more bragging...

Not aviation related, but I have started back running again in an attempt to conquer this race next year in March. It's my second time back running since February, after the Zombie 5k. I had set a goal of breaking 40 minutes tonight in the 5k. Not good, but I'm working up to it.

I finished in 38 minutes... and came home to follow it up with 200 crunches and 25 girly push-ups. I took a break to wash up and eat dinner.

Then I logged onto CAP to finish the second block of Basic Officer Training!!!!!! BOOYAH!!!!!
I wanted to keep it going and finish the chapter in my textbook about airspace, which I only have 9 pages to go until that's completed. However, I'm currently in violation of one of my personal minimums - lights out at 11pm. I've been better about getting to bed at that time this week and it's important for me to get my rest, which is why I shouldn't violate it.

Would it feel totally awesome to complete the chapter in my textbook tonight just to say I did allllllll of those things in one night?? You bet. Was I completely understanding what I read at the time I decided to stop? No. Basic Operational Risk Management - rushing through things in aviation or hold back talking to ATC because of pride can lead to accidents. Although, no accidents could have occurred in this instant and I wasn't in any danger, I need to start thinking like this... about everything. Pushing through when I was already tired just to say I did it wouldn't matter much when I'd have to re-read everything again later anyways because I didn't understand it the first time through. And this isn't a race. I know I'm discouraged about how long it's taking... but if it takes a little longer and it's done right, then that's all that matters. Besides, I can finish that chapter tomorrow. ;)

Plus, I have my first EAA meeting tomorrow!!!!!!! I need to make sure I'm not overly tired for work and have enough energy remaining to go meet all of them tomorrow!!! I'MSOOOEXCITED!!!!

Like everyday, I saw a few things that reminded me of Oshkosh today and was happy to note that they made me feel stronger instead of sad, as they had been making me feel lately. I watched a video about this past year at Oshkosh, with a smile on my face, thinking "Wow, I DID that! By myself. I did that... "... and then "I miss you" ran through my head as the sadness came running through. Okay, so not perfect... but getting better. I much rather prefer to have my experience strengthen me, rather than make into a teary mess.

So - 5k in 38 min, 200 crunches, 25 girly push-ups, made dinner and finished the 2nd part of the Basic Officer Training. Not to mention, studied out of the book a little. Not too shabby. Not too bad at all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment